Saturday, April 6, 2013

Parkinson's Disease Awareness Month

April is Parkinson's Disease Awareness month!  Some of you may know about Parkinson's Disease from personal experience with a friend or relative living with the disease. Others of you may only know about PD from reading about Michael J. Fox, or reading his books or seeing him interviewed on television.

Like Michael, I too have PD.  PD is a neuro-muscular disease that is progressive and, so far, incurable. My stepfather had PD. He lived with it for years. He had the familiar tremors, and it affected his ability to walk, talk and even swallow.  In addition many PD patients struggle with depression.Toward the end of his life he had dementia. It was a sad thing to see happen to this once strong and healthy man.

After his death my younger brother was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and a few years later I learned that I had PD. When I was diagnosed I sank into a depression that was part physiological and part based on what I anticipated my future would be. As my tremors grew progressively worse I started taking medication to control the tremors and I got help for my depression.

For more information about Parkinson's Disease go to: www.pdf.org/about_pd

We don't yet have all the answers about what causes PD, but there is a lot of research going on to find the cause and, of course, a cure. We need the support of everyone out there! You can learn more at the following sites:
www.michaeljfox.org/
www.pdf.org

Thank you for your interest!
Shari Lyle-Soffe



1 comment:

reeta said...

At Hunter Neurology we provide the following Neurodiagnostic Services: View this Link Parkinson's disease Assessment Maitland Hunter Valley