Monday, May 17, 2010

MY NEIGHBORS ARE THERAPY HORSES

I live in the country and I have some interesting neighbors. My neighbors are therapy horses. Miniature horses named Doodlebug and Miss Daisy. Doodlebug is the dark horse and is 8 years old.  Miss Daisy is the white horse and is 5 years old.

Miniature horses live to be 20 to 30 years old. They eat hay and alfalfa and enjoy apples and carrots for treats. They don't require a lot of care but do need their hooves trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks and shots once a year. They can be riden by small children but are more often used to pull carts


The horses are used by their owner, Ms. Johnson, a school teacher to help her Special Ed students.  She trailers the horses and takes them to school, or to rehabilitation centers, and retirement homes to visit with the residents. Hanicapped, Autistic children, and children with Cerebral Palsy often respond to a visit from these miniature horses and perk right up when they see them. Her students go with her and they benefit right along with the people they visit.




If horses interest you I am sure you will enjoy my picture book, A Horse Of Course, with humorous illustrations by Eugene Ruble and written by Shari Lyle-Soffe. This story of a full grown horse in the house will delight young children up to age 9 years. It is available in ebook formats and soft cover. Click here for free coloring pages and purchase information. 

10 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

That is wonderful! They are just adorable.

Janet Ann Collins said...

Therapy horses do a lot to help kids with Special Needs. There are several places like that in my area, too.

J. Aday Kennedy's A Writing Playground said...

When I was at the rehabilitation hospital after my stroke therapy dogs visited. I think they realize the important role they're performing. It was the turning point in my recovery.

A Horse of Course will supply a horsey treat.

Blessings,
J. Aday Kennedy
The Differently-Abled Writer

Margie Church said...

Shari, these are the kind of neighbors I could enjoy. What a great ministry their owner is involved with! A college pal of mine trains therapy dogs. They are wonderful creatures and bring such peace and joy with them. Thanks for sharing.

NancyCL said...

Oh gosh, Shari, I love these little guys. We have a horse farm not far from us (we're out in the country too) who raise the mini's and they are just adorable. I've heard too that they make wonderful "service" animals. Thanks for sharing this...

Jack Foster said...

That is so great Shari! I've heard some very touching stories involving therapy horses. I love the "Horse of Course" character.... he's so full of life. Great one by Eugene!

Cheryl said...

Aw, they're so cute. What a wonderful job for them. Thanks for sharing.

Cheryl

Donna M. McDine said...

We have a local therapy horse farm here and I always hear such wonderful things about it. Great post!

Susanne Drazic said...

Great blog post Shari! I've heard wonderful things about therapy horses and therapy dogs. What a wonderful service that they are providing.

cerodriguez said...

Those adorable mini horses are making my "inner little girl" kick in something fierce!