Monday, November 9, 2009

November 9 - 13 National Young Readers Week


Schools around the country will be celebrating National Young Readers Week from November 9th to the 13th.

Parents, grandparents and homeschoolers can do the same. Have reading contests. Encourage your children to read aloud to the family. Make lists of your favorite books. Be creative.

SIX REASONS TO READ WITH YOUR CHILDREN

1. Good readers will do better in other subjects, too.

2. Reading aloud to each other is comforting and creates a bond between parent and child.

3. Reading encourages the imagination as your mind sees the pictures that are not on the page.

4. Reading makes it possible to travel and have experiences through books that may otherwise be out of reach.

5. Reading is a quiet, peaceful endeavor. There are too few of those today. You can read almost anywhere if there is enough light, even under the covers with a flashlight. ;o)

6. Reading makes pleasant memories for a lifetime. I still have wonderful memories of my teacher reading The Little House Books, and White Fang to our class.

**Yesterday I signed my new book, A Horse Of Course at the local bookstore. In addition to signing books and meeting and talking to people, I had an opportunity to encourage a young man who wrote a book he wants published. I told him to checkout Guardian Angel Publishing.  They sometimes publish books by children. I also received a note, entirely unexpectedly, from an acquaintance I hadn't seen in quite awhile. She wanted to bring her children to the signing but was going to be out of town. She mentioned that her young daughter has decided she wants to be a writer. It was a delightful afternoon.

**I was surprised to receive an envelope with two copies of The Friend magazine. The November issue has my poem, Say Something Nice, in it.

**Another surprise when the children's librarian of our Josephine County Library asked me to come read my book to the children at an event this weekend.

What do you like to read? How do you encourage your children to read?

5 comments:

kathy stemke said...

Good tips Shari. Thanks.

Janet Ann Collins said...

Years down the line the world will be a better place in a small way because of the things you've written and the presentations you give. By influencing so many kids you're changing the future.

Cheryl said...

Fabulous news all around. Your signing certainly was a success. That's so wonderful. I love that book and I'm glad it's doing well.

Cheryl

Joy said...

Hi Shari. Sounds like yesterday was a really good day. Congratulations on all your accomplishments.

Joy

Mayra Calvani said...

Thanks for letting us know.