Monday, June 22, 2009

Monday - Writer's Daze "Turning a New Leaf"


I have decided to turn a new leaf in my writing life. I don't like the way things are going...too much time spent trying to promote my books and not enough time spent writing. I am a writer after all and if I only write for the sake of promotion that seems backward to me. Yes, in this day and age it is necessary to promote your work. Yes you want your books to sell. The question is do you use promotional ideas that work for you, or are you doing what someone else said was necessary, even though it is sucking the life out of your work? Why? As the saying goes "There is more than one way to skin a cat." My apologies to cat lovers. Find what works "for you". Be creative. Play up your skills.


From time to time I think it is a good idea to analyze what you are doing. You need to determine what is working and what is not. What works for one writer doesn't necessarily work for every writer. Examine your feelings about what you are doing. Is it giving you the pleasure it should? Are you excited about what you are doing or is it just a chore? Are you following someone else or following your heart?


I wanted to write for the joy it gave me and hopefully the joy it would give others. It is time to get rid of the weeds that suck the joy out of my day and go back to planting flowers.


How about your work day? Are you doing what you enjoy?

2 comments:

billkirkwrites said...

I couldn't agree more, Shari. Every day I find myself doing more and more checking of things---perhaps not unlike a trapper checking his traps or a fisher checking his lines. After all there are so many things out there to check, aren't there?

Did someone message me on Author's Den or Jacketflap? What about comments on my blog and comments I might leave on other blogs? So many blogs; so little time. Then there are Booktour, Filedby, LinkedIn, Lookybook and all the networking sites to check and recheck. And how can I forget to look at Google Analytics? Have I missed anything---important or not? Better double check to be sure. I'd like to write in my blog at least---you know, the one about writing? If I only had a bit more time. Then, again, what have I done to warrant writing about anyway? Maybe tomorrow I'll get an earlier start.

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Bill

You nailed it! Absolutely what I am talking about. Take a deep breath and decide what really matters.

Shari