Monday, January 12, 2009

Why do you read?

Have you given any thought to "why" you read? I suppose we all read to learn new things, keep up with what is going on in the world around us, and because we have a curiosity to know more. I often read fiction when I need to relax or replenish the well. Sometimes I think reading is an escape. That may sound like a bad thing, but I think it is actually a good thing. It is sort of a vacation from the reality of our problems and day to day living. I may read one book after another until I realize it is time to return to the real world. Then I take a break from reading for awhile until the need strikes me again.

We all read without really thinking about it. We read mail, documents, bills, menus, forms, labels, the Bible, and notes from the teacher, just to name a few. We read because we must. Reading helps us navigate through our lives. We would truly be lost if we couldn't read.

Sadly, there are still people in this world who cannot read, but gratefully, there are volunteers willing to teach them. That is how important it is. It is important that as parents we encourage our children to read the funny papers, cereal boxes, billboards, church bulletins, road signs, menus, and books. You will give them a better today and a brighter future.

Expand their universe. Make sure each of your children has a library card. Teach them to use the library. Help them pick out books about subjects that interest them, both fiction and non-fiction. They will be better students and more interesting adults because of your encouragement. Those reading choices will help to shape their character and be responsible for the person they become.

Why do you read?

9 comments:

Christina E. Rodriguez said...

I read for work and for pleasure. Luckily work has become my pleasure, and not the other way around.

Joy said...

I read to inform myself about work related things, for pleasure, to inform myself about what's going on in the world, and many other reasons. I find that some days I read all day and all night long, bouncing from subject to subject. I'm glad I can read and enjoy helping others to find that passion for reading.

http://www.laughing-zebra-children-books.com
http://goingbeyondreading.blogspot.com/
http://zooprisepartyfiestazoorpresa.blogspot.com/
follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/JOYPublishing

Marvin D. Wilson said...

To learn, to be entertained, and to study the styles and nuances of other authors. Those are my main 3 reasons for reading. And I read a lot, every day.

Katie Hines said...

I read because I love the written word...most of the time! Sometimes I wonder why anyone bothered to write some drivel. And, I taught my children to read when the were 4; today both have a love of reading. Of course, we also read to them a lot, too.

Helen Ginger said...

I read for work, information, & pleasure. I admit, though, that the pleasure reading is less than it used to be. Just too much to do & too much "other" reading that has to be done. But the good news is that reading other manuscripts is part of my worklife since I'm a freelance editor, so that work is fun.

Janet Ann Collins said...

I read because I'm a bookaholic.

Krista said...

Sometimes I read because I need to feel resolution. There are so many never-ending problems, at work and in the world, so I choose books that have a beginning, a problem, and denouement. It doesn't even matter whether I agree with the ending; just feeling the closure is a relief.

Annay Dawson said...

I believe people read for many different reasons, even me. I like to read to get away from all the reading I do in work and just the daily things. I chose books that pull me in and refuse to let me out until I finish them. Sometimes that's a problem though as I can't always finish them in one setting.

Connie Arnold said...

Reading and rest time go together for me. With a chronic illness that requires regular rest times, and I can't stand to just lie down or sit and do nothing during the day, reading helps me rest and relax while providing a small escape from life's difficulties, and also learning and enjoying what others have written. I read to my children, took them to library and helped them learn to read, and now I'm starting to do this with grandchildren.