Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Were you read to as a child?

I have fond memories of being read to in school. My teacher read the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder to our class, and Jack London's White Fang. I can remember being transported in my mind to those places and times. I loved it. I love movies, but it just isn't the same as escaping into a book.

I asked Dotti Enderle if she had any fond memories of being read to. Here is her answer:

My fondest and most prominent memories of third grade were of my teacher reading to us. She read Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle and Charlotte's Web. I was engrossed and taken in by both, and remember being as much enthralled by those books as by my favorite TV shows.

Dotti Enderle
http://www.dottienderle.com
* * *
Be sure to read Dotti's latest book:

MAN IN THE MOON (Delacorte Press)
"A worthwhile read with a satisfying conclusion that will be long remembered." --School Library Journal

4 comments:

Beth Groundwater said...

I have fond memories of the family's weekly trips to the library when I was a child, where I could pick out my maximum allowance of children's books to enjoy for a week before returning again for more treasures.

Janet Ann Collins said...

I remember our third grade teacher reading us Hitty, Her first Hundred Years about a doll. And, of course, I was always read to at bedtime until I became old enough to enjoy reading for myself.

Sharon said...

One of the few things my mother did with me was reading to me. We had a very colorful Bible story book and I have vivid memories of Lot's wife turned into a pillar of salt when she looked back. Whenever I was particularly distraught, my mother comforted me by reading to me.

Joy said...

Charlotte's Web, that was one of my favorites that my teacher read to us. Another one of my favorites were the Raggedy Ann and Andy stories. The illustrations in those books are some of the most imaginative ones I've ever seen.