Wednesday, January 7, 2009

DOES WHERE YOU READ MATTER?

I think we all agree reading is necessary and important to a successful life. Encouraging a child to read is one of the most important things a parent or teacher can do in my opinion. Reading to them when they are very young, buying them books, and taking them often to the local library. It has occured to me that providing a child with a comfortable place to read and setting aside time for reading are also valuable steps to take for your kids.

Did you have a favorite place to read as a child?

Author Bev Cooke had this to say about her place to read:

I loved reading on my bed in the very early spring. It was comfy, it was all my space, and my window looked out into our backyard. Chinese elms and the ornamental cherry trees were still locked into winter's hibernation, but right outside my window was a nesting forsythia bush, which bloomed earlier than anything else. My happiest memories are of early spring days - too cold and muddy to play outside, but the bush was blooming, and the sky was that light, fragile blue that only comes in March, the sunlight pouring through the window onto my pink cotton bedspread. I would curled up on the bed with a book, a glass of chocolate milk and a bag of chips on the bedside table. Until the book took me away, I would eat and read and watch out my window. Then, gradually, the room would fade and I would travel, to ages past and future, continents far from home, losing all sense of time and place until dinner was called and I would look up to see the the stars glimmering high in the sky, and the moon smiling at my return.

Bev Cookes latest book is "Royal Monastic - Princess Ileana of Romania" published by Conciliar Press. Available on Amazon.com and at http://www.conciliarpress.com/

Thanks Bev!

4 comments:

Sharon - inspiring stories said...

No favorite spot - I just read wherever I could find a quiet spot which was a pretty big challenge in my home. I was 2nd oldest of 8 siblings!

Christina E. Rodriguez said...

When I was a little girl and would have a hard time sleeping, I'd take a book into the bathroom and read while laying on the rug in front of the tub. I honestly don't know what possessed me to read in the same room as the toilet. Maybe the light was just better there...

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Christina

LOL. It sure wouldn't have been my choice, but to each his own. The important thing is that you were reading.

Thanks for your comment.

Shari

Joy said...

I had a big, bright yellow patten leather beanbag chair in my room as a teenager. I'd climb inside and read. It was very comfortable and if the book was boring, I'd fall asleep in it.