Thursday, February 1, 2007

What's Your Excuse?


Here it is February and my resolutions for the new year are already swirling rapidly down the drain. How can you lose focus in such a short time?

I had big plans for writing new work and promoting published work that had me burning up the keyboard like a wildfire...then something slowed me to a stop. (Listen carefully there is an excuse coming.)

I asked someone to offer suggestions for how I might improve some materials I had made for school visit purposes, and that person wanted to make a number of changes. Unfortunately she couldn't get to it right away...and she couldn't make changes on her computer...so it necessitates a face to face meeting, and that will have to wait until possibly this weekend, if we can squeeze it in. *sigh* I really wanted to hear her input as the parent of a child in that age group, so I felt it was necessary to wait until she had the time even though I may not use all of her suggestions.

BUT, I let it bring my work to a screeching halt! For one thing, I was depressed that this was going to change my time frame for sending the material to schools, and I let it deflate me.

What did I do instead? I did the intelligent thing, the smart thing, the professional thing, I turned to reading e-mails and playing my Zuma game and a little Spider Solitaire to fill the time. Instead of letting myself move on to something productive I became a vegetable. (No offense to game players.) All the while I kept kicking myself for wasting time but I couldn't pull myself up out of my miserable, self-pitying funk.

What could I have done instead???? I have a collection of favorite picture books, and I should have reread them. Reading stories by good writers always inspires me to want to write. Then I should have reread the books that I just had published. Revisited my own writing, so to speak. Then I should have drug out my works-in-progress and started writing. Even if I lacked an idea I should have written anything just to be writing. Editing is for later anyway.

Well, that's what happened to my resolutions, I dumped them at the first stumbling block. What would you have done in my place? Do you have a plan for dealing with the rocks in the path? What keeps you going?

Are you still sticking to your resolve? If not, what's your excuse?

(c) 2007 Sharon A. Soffe

3 comments:

Moondancer said...

Hey, what age group is your target? I have a 4 year old daughter and a 8 year old son who is a rabid reader. I'd certainly be willing to help if you needed insight into kids in that range.

Moondancer

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Moondancer

Thanks for the offer but I have grandchildren in that age range.

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Moondancer

Thanks for the offer but I have grandchildren in that age range.