Monday, May 2, 2005

When Your Muse Plays Hide & Seek

When your muse goes into hiding, what do you do? Do you spend hour upon hour playing Solitaire? Do you answer all of the nonsensical e-mails that you receive from listmates? Do you sit at your keyboard, fingers poised, staring at a blank screen for endless days desparately wishing something, anything would come to you?

Too much of that can lead to the real muse-killer, self-doubt! I can't write. I can't think of anything. All of these people are writing volumes on every imaginable topic and I can't come up with one word. I should just quit! Now you have started down a very slippery slope. If you continue on this path you will end up drowning in a very deep pool of hopelessness. Trust me, you won't find your muse in there.

Now it is true that you may be able to force the words to come while sitting at your keyboard, but if you aren't typing anything the chances are slim. Start typing! Set up a blog and type about your inability to write. Type anything, it really doesn't matter what, just type until the muse returns.

If that doesn't work for you get out of your office. Take a walk. Turn to a favorite hobby. Read a book. Treat yourself to a massage, a manicure, or time in the park feeding the ducks. Quit trying to write and think about something else. Your muse may have left due to boredom. Add something stimulating to your life to entice the muse to return.

Perhaps a change of style will get you back into the swing of things. If you always write at a keyboard, switch to pencil and paper. If you always write at a desk, curl up in an easy chair or try writing outside (while the weather is nice), and get some fresh air at the same time. If you always write novels, take a break and write a poem, or an article about writing.

Whatever you choose to do, don't under any circumstances give up writing. If you quit I can absolutely guarantee you won't succeed!

(c)Sharon A. Soffe 2005

2 comments:

haro said...

Hey Sharon:)

So, you are in my head again:) Although today my issue is with revisions. Like pulling hair...actually it is my muse's tresses that I yank on,draggin' her to the keyboard with me. And so, before giving both of us headaches I just took break. Even set the time for an an hour. Started reading, Alice, I Think by Susan Juby (_funny_ and sad all at the same time), checked my emails, read your cw biz post and now here I am with a few minutes left in that hour:) Feeling revved up (there goes the bell! time is up) and ready to get back to revisions. Hopefully my muse will have a few hairs left on her head at the end of the day!

Deb

Shari Lyle-Soffe said...

Deb

I hear you. Go easy on her. There is nothing quite so unattractive as a bald-headed muse.

Good luck with those revisions.

Thanks for your comments.

Shari